Your Emails Are Amazing!
One of the most heart-breaking moments in marketing happens when we spend HOURS creating an email newsletter… and it doesn’t get the response we want.
Maybe our Mom replied, “Way to go, honey” or friends cheered us on saying, “You’re so inspiring”~ Ahhh, thanks, but why aren’t CLIENTS saying YES?
For the last 12 years, I’ve been researching the psychology behind a powerful email.
My most fruitful experimentation came from a 6-year job writing a weekly e-newsletter for the personal-growth hub of the Pacific Northwest, New Renaissance Bookshop. I’d spend hours poring over my words, hoping what I said would hit home with others.
Every week provided physical proof in sales whether my attempts were successful or not. Eventually, I learned how to formulate these emails for maximum effect… and that’s when the cash register began to ring like crazy!
While several factors influence others to take action, there are a few essentials that make a huge difference.
6 (FAIL-PROOF) TIPS FOR INSPIRING EMAIL NEWSLETTERS:
1. Less Is More: Limit the email to 200-300 words max. Sticking to one theme or idea makes it memorable and easy to digest.
2. Drop the Small Talk: Don’t chat about the weather or how excited you are, dive right into the message.
3. Begin with Emotion: Identify the emotional reasons for what you’re about to propose. This captures their hearts and keeps them reading! (For example: Look how I kicked off this topic above)
4. Stories Always Sell: Weave in a relevant story and the need to persuade or convince someone instantly disappears.
5. Inspire Them to Join You: Try using words like “we, our, and us” instead of “you.” This tells the reader that you’re on a mission with them. It’s an implied invitation to join you without sounding salesy or condescending.
6. Be Provocative: Using safe, politically correct, or overly positive words is boring. Show vulnerability and empathy, and then top it off with some humor, sass, or attitude.
When we follow these guidelines, it’s amazing how much LESS time (and agony) is spent and how much MORE response (and confidence) is generated. In addition, our emails stand out from the others and become welcomed and wanted!
We all have gems to share and it sure doesn’t hurt when our efforts translate into dollars.
All my best,
P.S. ~ If you found this helpful, give others the gift of ease. Please SHARE THIS on Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc.
And tell me what YOUR suggestions are for writing awesome emails. ~ Comments are always cherished.